When I showed you how far the living room had come in my recent post, I said that the lampshade was under construction...


This is something I've been dying to tackle for ages. I was tempted by the patchwork lampshades of Vix and Dee Dee but as much as I admire the look in other peoples homes, I can't embrace colour in my own. Just can't. It scares me. I've said this before, but I want to live in a White Company catalogue.

Anyway, earlier this week I was trapped in the house with a sick child, no biscuits whatsoever and Scooby Doo on telly ALL DAY so I decided to get cracking with my lampshade to help take my mind off things. I'm such a great mum...


Here's my plain shade with all the trim ripped off. I also pulled out the lining as I wanted the light to show through the lace.



 So here's my BLAND version. It involves cutting up lacey doilies and vintage lace tablecloths. No doubt we all have a secret stash of these. Doilies aren't cool. But if they're hand made lace and under a quid, I cannot resist their allure.

This is a cool project if you have ripped or stained lace and doilies or tablecloths. You feel less guilt cutting them up if they're damaged. I also gave the cotton lace a bath of tea to dirty them up a bit.

I covered one side at a time of the shade with white glue, positioned on my lace and trimmed the excess, leaving enough to turn over at the top and bottom. I like to use Aleenes Tacky Glue which is a habedashery glue. It holds your work in place whilst wet and dries completely clear unlike Mod Podge.


With the next side I overlapped it slightly using the pretty edge. Once I'd gone all the way round I glued velvet ribbon at the top and bottom.



And when the light is on?  It's at it's best.







And my husband came home with snacks! What a guy...



I'm inordinately excited about this! The ONLY thing worth watching on telly...


Even if it is total nonsense...
Who is your favourite? 

Linking with Jennifer Rizzo; Fabulously Creative Friday
 The Shabby Nest: Frugal Friday
 The Rosegarden In Malevik
 Funky Junk Interiors: Saturday Night Special
 Three Mango Seeds: It's Party time
and It's So Very Cheri


Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Pellentesque volutpat volutpat nibh nec posuere. Donec auctor arcut pretium consequat. Contact me 123@abc.com